The following is an excerpt from the 1946 UA Desert Yearbook about the "current" status of the UA Greek Community.
The Panhellenic Council
"WE, the fraternity undergraduate memners, stand for good scholarship, for guarding of health, for whole-hearted co-operation with our college's ideals for student life, for the maintenance of fine social standards..." This, the creed of the Panhellenic organization, states its reason for existence as well as its aims for the future. Three officers, one active member and one alumna member from each house, with Dean MacCready as faculty advisor compose the group. Enthusiastic over progress made and aims yet to be accomplished, Panhellenic members have enlarged its principal function from that of regulating rushing only, to the immeasurably greater function of exerting a postive force for the betterment of all sororities on campus. They have become good friends and are willing to share their ideals, working together on plans that stimulate and further Panhellenic aims. Through these meetings, they have come to realize the importance and value of cooperation, and intent to make their organization the medium through which the exchange of ideas may be made and cooperation directed. Panhellenic has sponsored two joint serenades this year-one at the close of rush week, and one before the Christmas holidays. Of special interest to the sorority members is the supremacy cup award presented annually by Panhellenic to the house which is voted by the sororites themselves as most outstanding on campus in scholarship, activities, cooperation and leadership.
The Interfraternity Council
The Interfraternity Council functions in an effort to systematize fraternity procedure, to formulate rules for rushing and pledging, with the idea of assuring justice and fair play to all groups. Each fraternity has two representative to the council--its president and one other who is elected. Having been partially inactive during the war period, they have reorganized and are working to bring back into effect the rules and regulations in force previous to the war. Other than making rules, the council offers a scholarship cup to the member highest in scholarship for two semester periods. This year they sponsored an interfraternity picnic and dance.
Also in the 1940s
The UA Board of Regents was created in June 1945. Prior to 1945 each institution (the teaching colleges in Tempe and Flagstaff) had their own governing boards.
1944 -- Wilbur "Bill" Bowers (Phi Gamma Delta), rescued the bell that had hung from the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor from being melted down. It now hangs in the Student Union and is rung during many campus events and after athletic wins.
1949 -- Bob White (Kappa Sigma), drew the first human drawing of a male and female cartoon form of the UA "Cat", for the cover of the Kitty Kat Humor Magazine.
The War and The University of Arizona
The Desert 1944, Pages 2 & 3
The foreward from the the 1944 Desert Yearbook provides a glimpse into what campus may have been like during WWII.
September, 1043 began another eventful year at the University of Arizona. With history in the making, the way had become very real and close to all of use. We listened with undivided attention to news broadcasts, we bought world maps in order to understand more fully the turmoil going on around us, we followed carefully each Allied invasion. Thus we embarked upon another school year.
The campus was unchaged in appearance. The stately building and well-kept grounds brough calmness to confused and worried minds. The war had caused many leaves of absences among the faculty, but the members of the administration were always willing to instruct and guide us. We found that very few boys had been able to return to school. With women leading the population, we elected a woman to the highes students office... that of student body president. The enrollment in the Senior Class was smaller than ever before. Classes were smaller than they had been in previous years. The ratio of girls ot boys in a classroom was about ten to one.
Most of us have nearly forgotten the thrill of a football game, but we hope that soon our memories will become real again. The Athletic Department worked out a program using army and navy trainees as well as campus men for university teams.
The Army and Navy were both an important part of campus life. the A.S.T.P. unit was oused in Cochise hall and the advanced R.O.T.C. men who retunred to campus took over rooms in the stadium. Famed "Dear Down" gym was home to about 800 Navy Indoctrinated men, while Navy V-5 studets lived in Yavapai hall.
The women did their part in the war effort also. The local campus Red Cross Chapter was stronger than ever.
Memories of the old days when fraternity dances, Sabino picnics, and week-end trips to Nogales were taken for granted will not soon be forgotten, bu campus social life this year took on a new light, consisting chiefly of dances and parties for the service men.
Although the war has caused many changes the campus continues to carry on the tradition for which Arizona stands.