The following are excerpts from the 1954 & 1955 UA Desert Yearbook sabout the "current" status of the UA Greek Community.
The Panhellenic Council
The Panhellenic Council plans rush and publishes a booklet for the rushees. Pledges took part in the IFC Help Week by working for townspeople to earn money for the March of Dimes. Panhell again contributed $180 to support of a war orphan. Trophies are awarded each semester to the house with the highest grade average, and the Supremacy Cup is given to the house voted most outstanding by the other sororities. (1954)
The Interfraternity Council
Men's rush activities were the main project for the Interfraternity Council. Carlos Amaya was the chairman for the rush manual printed for the rushees' information. A Christmas party was planned for 800 underprivileged children by Tom Murphy. Each of the 20 fraternities sent five cars to bring the children to the party, for which Henry Mollner played Santa and distributed toys and candy. A Christmas tree in the SU senior ballroom was the center of the party. Second semester projects included Help Week under the direction of Jim LaBelle and the semi-formal dance held April 23. (1955, page 180)
Working for Tucsonans in Help Week
The March of Dimes received $566 as a result of Help Week, which was under the direction of Jim Labelle, chairman, and Chuck Boweles and Terry Williams, sub-chairmen. Pledges took part in the fifth annual project sponsored by IFC to take the place of Hell Week. Last year's Help Week was so successful that the university was awarded a special plaque by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis for meritorious work. (1955, page 180)
Greeks Combine Abilities
Pledge Open houses in the fall, Monday night pinning serenades and Wednesday exchanges furthered relations between the Greeks. A new trend was begun as fraternities and sororities combined to build Homecoming floats, to present Varsity Show skits and the preform in the Sind. Inspiration seemed to come with the addition of the other sex. This system proved successful in that several pins were transferred soon after the activity was completed. With the exception of mixed voices in the Sing, the groups did not enter competition. (1955, page 182)
The 50s at the University of Arizona
The Desert 1954
In the mid 1950s there were more than 5,000 students attending the UA, the library held more than 230,000 books and was the center of the social life on campus.
In 1954 the Daily wildcat changed from a four-page paper to an eight-page paper.
Intramurals were an important part of the fraternity and sorority experience. Intramurals offered 17 different sports and activities for groups to take part in.
In 1955 there were 102 international students from 42 different countries enrolled at the UA.
Also in the 1950's
1959 -- Richard Heller & John Paquette (Phi Kappa Psi), developed the concept of a costumed mascot and named it Wilbur.
1959 -- Ed Stukenhoff (Alpha Tau Omega), wore the first Wilbur costume.
Arizona Campus- A Desert Oasis
The Desert 1955, Page 12
Strictly Southwestern in architecture, the 85-acre campus centers about Old Main, which in the beginning comprised the entire school.
Fifty-four new buildings have sprung up on the desert of 1891 to fill the entire area inside the volcanic rock walls which mark its original boundary. Although the buildings went up one by one throughout the first half of this century, all harmoniously conform to the red-brick style with the red tile roofs.
Like a refreshing oasis set into a residential area of the Old Pueblo and the nearby desert, the campus is colorful with cool green lawns and right flowers as brilliant sunshine bathes the red buildings.
Attractive drives, lined with palm and olive trees and evergreens, curve around Old Main's island and border the lawns.
Among the University’s latest additions are the Liberal Arts Building, which opened its doors in 1950, and the Business and Public Administration Building, which was completed in 1952. In the heart of campus stands the million-dollar Student Union, which is Arizona's tribute to its sons who were killed in World War II.
The bell in the Student Union tower was taken from the USS Arizona, which was sunk at Pearl Harbor. The ringing bell salutes athletic victories over out-of-state teams.
After completion of Coconino Hall, the new women's dormitory on Olive Road, attention turned toward plans for the modern Fine Arts Building to be built next door. Further expansion is planned to accommodate the growing enrollment of 5,750.
The following are excerpts from the 1954 & 1955 UA Desert Yearbook about the "current" status of the UA Greek Community.
Kappa Alpha Psi
Kappa Alpha Psi joined the UA community in 1956, and became the first NPHC men's group based completely at the UA. Omega Psi Phi founded in 1946 was a statewide chapter.
Newest fraternity on campus is Kappa Alpha Psi. The local chapter became affiliation with the national interracial fraternity this year...Numerous weekend social affairs were sponsored by the fraternity. Founder's Day was celebrated and at a spring party the Sweetheart of Kappa Alpha Psi was chosen. Fraternity affairs were coordinated by Ed Brown, president; Joe Stone, vice president; Marlon Green, secretary and Kenneth Goode, treasuere. Dr. John H. Denton was faculty advisor for the group. (1957, 247)